Wednesday, December 26, 2007

geisha-hood


When Karen and I went to Kyoto last month, we had an appointment to be made up as geisha at a photo studio. The photos were part of my Christmas gift to my parents, so I didn’t post the photos on my blog then, but here they are (or at least the ones where I don’t look too frightening. It’s no secret that I’m not very photogenic. Plus it’s really hard to smile with your mouth closed! And honestly, the whole look just looks better on Japanese women!)
The whole process took about an hour and a half. First was the makeup which included the white base, pink eye-shadow, red eyeliner on the lower lids, heavy black eyeliner on the upper lids, and bright red lipstick.
Next we got to choose a kimono. There was a walk-in closet full of them making it hard to decide. I already thought my blue eyes looked freaky with the makeup, so I purposely did not choose a blue kimono, although those were my favorite. There were numerous layers to the kimono, so that the whole outfit was quite heavy.
Finally, the wig, which was like a helmet, was PAINFUL! I couldn’t bear it for very long, and had bumps and scabs on my temples for a few days afterwards.
Then it was our turn in the photo studio. We were told to show our feet, and to turn the outer foot inwards (I think this is because the geta (flip-flops) make you pigeon toed). Except for the parasol, I’m not sure what I was holding in these photos. And the very sad look is me realizing I can’t smile with my mouth closed.
We were able to go outside in the alleyway behind the studio and shoot some photos on our own cameras afterwards. We put on the very, very thick-soled geta and posed for each other. The Japanese women who were also getting done up wanted to pose with us! I don’t know why – the Japanese women looked so beautiful, and Karen and I looked so weird in the makeup! I fear we spoiled their photos.
All in all, it was a really fun experience, no matter how sad or scary I look in the photos!

No comments: