Sunday, March 9, 2008

Last weekend - and upcoming events!

This was finally a quieter weekend for me. I went to the Himeji Museum of History with Mr. Matsumoto, my co-teacher for the monthly kids' classes I've been teaching this year. He brought along two of his adult English students who were looking for an opportunity to practice English. So I had three tour guides! That in itself attracted a lot of attention, and a few other museum goers stopped our group to find out why we were speaking in English (and to encourage me to learn Japanese! But if I learn to speak Japanese, then these people don't get a chance to practice English! So the way I see it, I'm being very altrustic by not being conversant in Japanese!)
I got a lot of attention from the museum staff too, who pulled out an expensive fan and a samurai helmet for me to try on! The helmet was very heavy (about 5 kilograms) and was used only for ceremonial purposes, not for battle. Two kids at the museum presented me with origami ninja stars, and the way was cleared for me to take a photo of this boy dressed in samurai gear.


Tomorrow is graduation day at junior high. It's a big deal since the students have been together since 1st grade, but will go their separate ways to high school. And tomorrow night I'm going to a bunraku performance (Japanese puppet theatre). I should have lots to tell you about tomorrow night.
And this Friday I'm going to a sumo match! I'm very excited, although I suspect I'll get bored within about 20 minutes! (My attention span when it comes to sports - spectating or participating - is notoriously short!) But I really want to see a real live sumo match - so I can say that I've been!! How cool is that!?! In keeping with my academic (rather than athletic) tendencies, I've been researching sumo and found this official website with some history and explanations of the sport. Study along with me, if you'd like! I'll fill you in on the actual event next weekend! http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/eng/ozumo_joho_kyoku/shiru/kiso_chishiki/beginners_guide/origin.html

1 comment:

Christine said...

Kenyans would say you look so smart in that hat, bibi!