Friday, September 21, 2007

Joyfull Humor

A couple of funny stories from tonight, but first I have to describe my new favorite place in Japan! It's a restaurant called Joyfull (yes, with two 'l's) and it's kind of like a Denny's (I'm not sure when I was last in a Denny's, but it's as I imagine a Denny's to be). There are booths and the little foot high plates of glass between booths. The menus has breakfast items and casserole type dishes. I ordered a penne pasta dish and it was made with cream of mushroom soup. OK, so I didn't really like that but I am willing to overlook it because they have Pepsi!! Not Pepsi Twist, either! It's the first time I've seen pure Pepsi in Japan and I was so "Joyfull"! I know I'll be going there often, because it's also an all you can "drink bar".
But back to the humorous parts of the evening. When we first arrived in Japan, the previous tenant had left a coffee maker in my apartment. Since I don't drink coffee, I passed it on to Trisha (you've heard of Trisha - she's the one with the infamous "I used to be a man" quote!). So tonight Trisha was saying that it is a magical coffee pot. She went on to say that she puts the coffee grounds in to make coffee, and then she opens it up to remove the grounds, and they've disappeared! She's looked everywhere for these grounds. My response was "Are you sure you're not using instant coffee?" The look on her face was priceless! But that shows two points - how we have no idea what groceries we're buying, and how amazing the Japanese electronics are (or we think they should be!)
The other funny thing tonight - as we walked back home from Joyfull, we stopped in a very large used book store. I asked the clerk if there was an English section. Yes, there was and he led the way... to a total of 22 books. Not even 22 different books as there were multiple copies of several books. We laughed so hard and agreed to return with a camera. So stay tuned for that photo (and maybe a photo of Joyfull too!)

No comments: