Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Every day is a school day - for me!

I'm amazed at the things I'm learning here! Today, the lesson plan for my classes at the elementary school was faxed to me. It had drawings of some fruits and vegetables for me to teach the students on Thursday. One was of a persimmon (I had to ask another teacher for this answer!). I have heard of the word "persimmon" and somehow knew how to spell it. But I don't know what a persimmon is! So tonight when I got home, I looked it up on wikipedia (the source of all knowledge). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon Apparently it's a fruit that's like a date and plum. Still don't know what it is.

But according to wikipedia - "The persimmon also figures prominently in American culinary tradition. It can be used in cookies, cakes, puddings, salads and as a topping for breakfast cereal. Persimmon pudding is a dessert using fresh persimmons. An annual persimmon festival, featuring a persimmon pudding contest, is held every September in Mitchell, Indiana."

Now I ask you - have any of you ever had a persimmon?? Much less been to this festival? Am I alone in my persimmon ignorance? I need to try one of these. In fact there is a tree full of fruit that I pass every day on the way to work and every day I wonder what kind of fruit it is. Maybe it's a persimmon!!

3 comments:

Christine said...

So THAT's what that is! I have been seeing that here in Germany, but I thought it was some kind of tomato derivative and steered clear. Yeah, if it is so entwined in our American culture, why is it we had to travel to the other side of the world to know it?

Don't worry..our landlord probably thinks we're retards because we didn't know how to turn the heat on. Everyday is a school day here, too!

krista said...

I've heard of persimmons! They sort of resemble a tomato. Ish.

Glad to hear that you're having fun in Japan! the Q just isn't the same without you!!

Angie said...

Actually yes I've seen, had, and picked persimmon (but - shocking I'm sure - can't spell it!). They have persimmon trees in Kentucky and through the Appalacian Mts. I don't think I've ever seen it here in MN though...