Thursday, October 25, 2007

the inland sea and the cosmos

Seems like I've been neglecting my blog lately. I think that's because things are starting to feel "normal" and I've fallen into a routine of sorts. But don't despair - tomorrow night is our Halloween party, and on Saturday I plan to go to Osaka. I promise a timely blog on these events.

This week I did go on a little road trip after school (just to the next city over - Tatsuno). We stopped at a beautiful seaside hotel (this being the so-called "inland sea"). Then we visited some fields of flowers (cosmos). I'm not sure I understood the explanation correctly, but apparently these flowers are in rice fields. Either the government pays people to plant flowers instead of rice (I guess there is a surplus on rice?) or they're just letting the fields go fallow. Either way, it was beautiful! (So beautiful some "dolls" decided to have a tea party there. In the last photo, those dolls are made of plastic bags stuffed with crinkled paper. A local kindergarten class made the setting).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you give Merry and I directions on how to get to this place? Merry really wants to go and I think the kids would like it as well. We enjoy living through your travels in Japan. By the way...was that a 'love hotel'?Thanks, Mitch