Friday, August 8, 2008

Andong, Korea (July 26 and 27)

After a 4 hour bus ride from Gyeongju, I arrived in Andong, primarily to see the historical folk village and museum.

First though, I checked into a hotel recommended by Lonely Planet for its computer in every room. I was very excited about that, but not nearly so excited by the circle bed with no sheets... To be fair, Lonely Planet did mention it was "campy".



I dropped my stuff off, procrastinating on how I could use my well-honed skills at charades to request sheets when I returned.

I went to the Andong Folk Village, which has ten historical homes which were moved in 1976 to rescue them from submersion when a dam was built. The other buildings in the "village" were from a 2001 TV historical drama. I couldn't actually tell which buildings were which.


There were a few props left in the village, for instance, this pole poorly disguised as a tree,


And this wall made of peeling "brick" and "cement" blocks with rusty nails.


I ordered mandu for dinner which turned out to be Japanese gyoza, which are actually Chinese pot stickers. So much for trying something new and Korean. But of course, the meal was served with usual assortment of kimchi.


After sleeping on the sheetless circle bed (my charades skills failed me), I took a bus the next morning to Seoul. As we were leaving Andong, I snapped these photos of a street market - plenty of garlic available in Andong!



For more photos of Andong

No comments: