Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tongdosa and Seongnamsa Temples, Korea (July 24)


Between Busan and Gyeong-ju (my next destination in Korea) are two famous temples: Tongdosa and Seongnamsa.
Tongdosa is one of Korea's most important temples, founded in 646 to house Buddha's relics (a few of his bones and bits and pieces). "Tongdosa" means transmission of the way temple, or as the guidebook went on to say "salvation of sentient beings by means of awakening the Buddha's teachings, Dharma." If you can't get your head around that, you can just enjoy the photos. (And remember, you can click on any of the photos to zoom in.)

Inscriptions on the rocks on the pathway to the temple. These are the names of visitors to the temple in the distant past.

Kimchi pots, I guess for all the monks who live here.

This fish was at many Buddhist temples in Korea. I read somewhere what its hollowed out belly symbolizes, but now I've forgotten... (does anyone know?)
The same fish and the temple drums
A pot of lotus plants and the main temple building
cute little preschoolers on a field trip

After Tongdosa, I went onto Seongnamsa Temple, also founded ages ago (in 824 AD). It's another beautiful temple, but what I remember most is the very sweet female monk at the entrance booth who offered to hold onto my very heavy backpack while I visited the temple. After my visit, she offered me a traditional drink made from rice and a map of another city.
There were these cairns (piles of stones) at many temples around Korea. Another tourist said they were for making wishes (you make your wish as you build your cairn. Of course it's bad luck to knock someone else's cairn over).


More photos of Tongdosa and Seongnamsa Temples.

No comments: